Thursday 23 June 2011

Introducing my novel: "Blazer Fables"






Here, then, is my first completed novel, self-published and all that. "Blazer Fables". It's a boarding school story interested in locating those moments that define character during adolescence. The characters are mostly centred in a single dorm and it is their stories that are followed. Hope, despair, boredom, comic books, petty squabbles, grand friendships, great artistic ventures, continental trips, fighting, foolishness, English lessons and music all feature. .


Perhaps you might like to try it out?

The novel is based upon a real location, but it's all fiction. I painted the cover, took the back cover photograph and chose the font. When I was a kid, I loved to make, draw, write and design my own comics and books. Horror anthologies, puzzle books (wordsearches, etc), superhero comics, James Bond parodies and "Clash of the Titans" rip-offs. I tried them all. This then is just doing the same thing on a more costly scale. There are meant to be, in fact, two more volumes to "Blazer Fables"... but who knows if that shall ever happen?

Mostly, it is fun to have completed something like this and to have it printed and tangible, weighty in my hands. It has been ten years in the writing, due to starting it with feverish ambition, then sabotaged by dying computers and abandoned for over half a decade as I tried other things. But I came back to it last year, seduced by the prospect of publishing all by myself, and therefore finished it. Blessed be the internets for offering vanity publishing. If you are to write into a void, it's probably more satisfying to throw an actual physical entity into it.

4 comments:

Philip said...

Bravo!

Buck Theorem said...

Thanks, Philip. Have to enjoy printed prose before it all sinks into a whirlpool of kindle and other virtual whatnots.

Ian John Copeland said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ian John Copeland said...

I just loved the final story "Now that we are here".

It has a great and unexpected ending.

As Oliver Twist said "Please Sir, I want some more"

(edited by me as I had a bad Dickens day and accused whimpy David Copperfield of asking for more. There is no way. Oliver on the other hand, was far more macho! Oh and a typo led to a second edit....)